This monument can be found in the town of Almada, opposite Lisbon and close to the April 25 Bridge. On the tower is the 80, likeness of Jesus Christ and an elevator leads to the base of the figure, where you get an excellent view of the Tagus estuary and Lisbon.
In the Chiado neighborhood in Lisbon you will find one of the most famous statues in the country, namely that of the Portuguese writer Fernando Pessoa. The statue is made of bronze and is the work of Lagoa Henriques. Located in Lisbon's Chiado district. Specifically is on the terrace of the famous and emblematic café A Brasileira, founded it in 1905, I sold coffee in Brazil and at the time, because its owner had lived in the country and importing various products from it. The cafe was famous Brazilian artists between Lisbon and was frequented by the same Pessoa, Jorge Barradas or Negreiros Almada. This is a picture that every visitor to Lisbon has to be done. Also a coffee at A Brasileira is a pleasure, much tourism environment and can choose from the terrace or inside. The Chiado neighborhood is also worth a visit.
The statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus appears in the middle of the Plaza Pio XII, the largest venue for outdoor prayer. It´s gilt bronze and stands on a spring water well surrounded by a fountain to which pilgrims come and drink (and return home with a bit). The image was donated by an anonymous grateful pilgrim and blessed on May 13, 1932 by the then Apostolic Nuncio, Monsignor Beda Cardinale. The location is now central to the message of the Virgin to the little shepherds in the Cova da Iria. You can see this in the plaza in addition to the Chapel of Apparitions and Church of the Holy Trinity
In the central area of [poi = 176531] Jardim da Republica [/ poi], just opposite the Town Hall (or [poi = 176591] City Hall [/ poi]), there is a monument erected in honour of Fausto Guedes Teixeira, the poet. It is a bronze bust of the Lamego native, which was designed by the Couto brothers, and was sculpted in 1944 by the artist, Mota Costa Sobrinho.
The Fountain of the Giants is in the central area of [poi = 177241] Patio de los Reyes [/ poi], in the latter part of the Shrine of Remedies steps. It's a monumental fountain, built entirely of granite and consisting of a 15 meter high obelisk that's supported by four large sculptures of giants (hence the name). The jets of water come out of the mouths of the Giants. The fountain is on a strange, 5 step stairway.
Viriato cradle Viseu shows us one of its large sculptures in what is known as Cava Viriato, which is a great space and full of trees around 2 miles long that once was where the imperial legions made their campgrounds. The monument of the Lusitanian stands on a mass of stone and the bronze figure is a warrior and is surrounded by 5 pastors in what is known as the Field or Viriato Gate, which hosts annually a Fair in honor of San Mateo, and very near the Multipurpose.
This monument is located in the historic Republic Square in the heart of Viana, directly across from the Costume Museum. It's actually a rectangular-shaped fountain with two sculptures in the center, made of bronze and representing the castaway Caramuru (a kind of Neptune) and a native Indian. The name Caramuru was the nickname of Diogo Álvares Correia, a brave explorer (born in Viana) who drowned in the Brasilian bay of All Saints in 1508, whose achievement is closely connected to the history of this country: As he was drowning, he took his gun and killed a bird, and the Indians who saw this attributed the action to divine powers. He later married an indigenous woman and the daughter of the chief of the tribe, Tupinambá. Therefore he had a lot of influence on the history of the founding of Brazil. The monument was made by José Rodrigues in December of 2008, marking the anniversary of the 750th anniversary of the founding of the city.
This monument is in the center and gardens in the main avenue of the city, the Av Carvalho Araújo which has the same name of this national hero. It was built in 1981 to commemorate the centenary of his death, and is a high granite pedestal where the bronze statue by sculptor Anjos Teixeira stands, this naval officer died in combat in the First War World. At the bottom front of the pedestal are two sculptures in stone depicting two men fighting hand to hand, and on the back of bronze on a rudder which can read a few words from an officer of a German submarine that recognizes Araújo's courage during battle.
This monument by Henrique Moreira is in Foz do Douro, on the outskirts of Oporto (along the Douro river towards Matosinhos). It's on one end of Paseo Alegre Park, opposite San Juan Bautista Castle. Made in 1967 it consists of a hollow rectangular granite structure with several bronze statues. It's dedicated to the Portuguese writer and soldier Raul Germano Brandão.
This statue of Pope John Paul II was realized by Czeslaw Dzwigai, a Polish compatriot. The statue is in the midst of the [poi = 439941] Plaza Pío XII [/ poi] and it reminds us of the brutal attack that the Pope suffered in May of 1981 in St. Peter's Square. On the first anniversary of the same travel route he went back as a pilgrim to Fatima and devoted himself to the church. The Pope went back to the site after 10 years as a pilgrim on the anniversary of his attack on his third visit. On May 13, 2000, standing before a million pilgrims, he beatified Francisco and Jacinta and revealed the third secret of Fatima. The Basilica reserves all rights.
In the back of the Episcopal Palace, opposite the Jardim dos Frades Trinos, is this monument that honors Antonio M ª Mourinho. It's a bronze bust in bronze on a granite pedestal. Antonio M ª Mourinho was the founder of the Terra Museum of Miranda, many mirandés fought for the recognition of the Mirandese language, also he's the author of several books and poems written in that language.
On one of the integrant paths of the garden, right in front of the Museum of Natural History of the Faculty of Science, you'll find an interesting series of bronze sculptures. They are in memory of the liberas executed in May and October of 1829 in the New Square (now called Freedom Square). For this reason the Cordonería Garden was renamed Campo dos Martires da Patria in October, 1835.
This monument was made in December of 1997 and placed in the center of Largo Rodrigues Sampaio, facing the waterfront. It has 5 large-size sculptures, made of bronze and placed on the pavement. They symbolize the efforts of local people fishing. This monument honors Esposende sailors and all those whose livelihoods depend on the sea (fishermen, boat builders ...).
This monument is at one of the entrances to the Jardim da Cordoaria (also called João Chagas or Campo dos Martires da Patria). It's a granite pedestal on which stands a stone statue of Ramalho Ortigão, writer/literary critic who was born in Oporto in the late eighteenth century. Directly in front is the Carmelite Church (Igreja do Carmo).
The almost magical sculpture of Poseidon holding some of the columns of Sintra Palace, Portugal were details that I liked at this dream palace. Manueline style, it follows the maxim of realism, has a maritime theme and the magic and romance that characterizes it having a typically Portuguese artistic style. I especially liked it as people are not overly attached to passing under the arches (they re more concerned about making a line to get to the rooms of the king).
This is one of the monuments in the gardens of Central Avenue and it entitled "Totus Tuus" which means "totally yours" in Latin and was the motto of Pope John Paul II to express their devotion. The monument is on grass, has three stone obelisks, granite triangular clothing and a sort of cauldron situated in the center.
The statue of D. Pedro V, is located in the square which shares its name. The statue was erected in honor of the king, who visited Castelo de Vide a month before his death. In the same square, you can find the information office where you can pick up a map with the main points of interest of the area. The tourist office is right behind the village parish church.
This statue is opposite the marina, in the gardens between the streets Av Marginal and Largo Joao da Costa (where the Book Fair is held). The statue is eighteenth century and carved in stone, on a staircase 4 busts represent the 4 continents, on a pedestal stands a woman, crowned by a castle carrying in her left hand a caravel, a symbol of the seafaring tradition of the city. This was the first monument that was dedicated to the city itself, but in the twentieth century a new version of this statue, which is opposite the Castillo de Santiago da Barra and the commercial and fishing port, was made.