A taste of the past
Designed in 1559, the Old Town Square is the most architecturally eclectic square in Havana, with Baroque rubbing shoulders with Gaudi-inspired Art Nouveau. Originally called Plaza Nueva, it was used for military exercises before being converted into an outdoor market. During the Batista regime, an ugly underground parking lot was built, but it was demolished in 1996 to make way for a huge renovation project. Dotted with bars, restaurants and cafes, today the Plaza has its own microbrewery, a beautiful fountain, and even a primary school.