The Cistercian monastery which takes its name from an ancient watermill
The Monastery of Rueda is one of three which belonged to the Cistercian Order in Aragon. Today, after a long and careful restoration which began in 1991 and which lasted until the year 2003, you can admire and visit it and spend the night in the Hospedería on the premises.
Its name comes from the large wheel or waterwheel which raised the water of the River Ebro to the cultivated fields for the brothers and which has been accurately reconstructed. Even if it is situated near the village of Escatrón, the monastery belongs to the municipal area of Sástago and the first references of it date from the year 1152.
In 1182, AlfonsoII of Aragon ceded the castle and the Villa of Escatrón to the monks. The Cistercian order founded the actual monastery in the year 1238, the church was consecrated and the end of the XIV century the medieval complex was finished being built with the last phases of the church. With the construction of the monastery works on the water infrastructure also began, this means, the Azud or dam to hold the water of the river, the wheel and the aqueduct are in obvious Gothic design the same as the monastery where the Gothic-Mudejar style predominates, also the Herrerian style, and in the entire site the highlight its cloister obviously Gothic, which together with the Tower and the monks Living quarters, form an area of great architectural interest which is worth visiting.
The Monastery reigns in the solitude of the important Ebro River which silently crosses between woods, the enigmatic corners of the Aragonese land which between depopulation and forgetfulness want to give a warm welcome to those travellers who come here, showing treasures like this one so unexpected and beautiful.