situated on the highest point of the peninsula
This place is situated on the highest point of the peninsula, known as the Rock of San Bernardino. It was originally built as a house to rest for the chemical industry magnate, French American Irenee Dupont, but it has now become the Varadero Golf Course (ranked among the best golf courses to be found in the Caribbean). It also has a restaurant specializing in French food with a great selection of wines. The original construction began in the year 1927 when Mr Du Pont decided to leave the presidency of his company and was looking for a place to rest. It was the first stone building to be built in the city of Varadero.