In 1864 the building of Santa Marta Lighthouse started on the fort of the same name. Four years later it was opened, with a small tower and a steady red light.
In 1980 and 1981 the lighthouse was fully automated. In 2000 the lamp units were moved to the Municipality of Cascais for the creation of a museum dedicated to the lamps. The museum opened on July 27, 2007.
Cascais is one of the most touristy places in Portugal
Location: Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais [38º 41'25.14'' N, 9 ° 25' 0.29'' W]