Pisa´s Romanesque jewel
Considered by everyone to be a jewel of Pisan Romanesque architecture in Tuscany, it is situated in Piazza San Martino, in the south of the historical center of Lucca. The construction of this Romanesque Cathedral began in approximately 1060, and was comissioned by the then Bishop of Lucca, Anselmo da Baggio (1015 c. - 1073), who would be elected pope in 1061, adopting the name of Alexander II. To this day, the huge apse of the original construction of the Cathedral remains in perfect condition. Towering columns support the apse and the Belfry. The cathedral was completed in 1070 and it was dedicated to St.