The Garden of Malta is located inside the Royal Palace of Queluz, in the town of Queluz and Sintra near Lisbon. The initial project was commissioned by Queluz Palace Mateus Vicente de Oliveira, reference architect at the time. The work began more or less around 1747. Known as the Portuguese Versailles, it was built by participating architects, decorators, and gardeners all throughout Europe. They all came together to convert the Royal Palace to a great refernce of 18th century architecture. Although the influences are French and Italian, the palace has features typical of the region, such as the famous Portuguese tiles.