Panaji is the capital vity of the Indian state of Goa located in the south of the country. It is located on the banks of the Mandovi River, which at this point is a delta. It is a small town of only 70000 inhabitants, a nice quiet colonial town with small white churches and one storey houses. Called New Goa by the Portuguese, it replaced Old Goa as the administrative capital of the Portuguese Indies. The Portuguese left in the 1960s, allowing the state to be integrated to the rest of India, independent of the Biritsh since 1947. The main square of the town is the square of the Immaculate Conception Church, a Baroque church built during the 16th century.