The Cathedral of Saint-Nazaire and Saint-Celsus was first mentioned in 925 and was blessed by Pope Urban II in 1096. It was built in Romanesque style between 1269 and 1230. A Gothic style cross, which expanded the size of the previous building, and made it the widest in southern France. In 1801, it lost its status as cathedral when it was replaced by the Church of Saint-Michel, at its hem. It was designated a minor Basilica by Pope Leo XIII in 1898 and rebuilt by Viollet le Duc. Among the architectural designs and more interesting objects to see, there is the 12th century Romanesque portal, its nave and Roman vaults from the 11th and 12th centuries.