Santa Cruz Church
The start of the Church of the Holy Cross Prejmer, UNESCO World Heritage site, coincides with the time of the Teutonic knights in county Barsa, in the early thirteenth century. Considered to be the most powerful of the Transylvanian peasant medieval fortresses surrounding the church it was built between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In 1240, the Cistercian monks took control of the church and land. Built in the thirteenth century in a Gothic style, the church has a cross-shaped plan, such as the Latin Church, with an octagonal tower that rises above the nave and side chapels. Between 1512 and 1515, the church was transformed, expanding the westwing and beautiful stained glass Windows were made.