medieval gates leading to more sights
The Arco da Vila, or arc of the city, is one of the medieval gates of entry to the historic lighthouse opposite the marina, the Banco de Portugal and the Church of Mercy. It is a National Monument and was built in 1812 by architect Francisco Xavier Fabri by the order of Bishop Francisco Gomes. It has a neoclassical facade, inside the arch there is a horseshoe arched wall belonging to Arabic walls and architecture. On the outside, there is a niche with the image of St. Thomas Aquinas.