the largest church in the city
This church is the largest church in the city. It is located in the historic center, in front of the old Town Hall. It was constructed between 1385 and 1477 over the remains of an earlier church which was destroyed by invading Mongols in the year 1242. Throughout its existence, it has undergone various vicissitudes, the last was in 1689 when a large fire destroyed the city and caused the walls to go black (since then, it is known as the "black church"). It had to be rebuilt afterwards. It is the largest Gothic church to be found in Romania, although its interior is mostly Baroque. It is made of sandstone, and it has six gates which are decorated with various sculptures.