The Helensburg village was founded in 1776 when Sir Ian Colquhoun, from the neighbouring village of Luss, built a series of hot springs on this site. Thanks to its proximity to Glasgow the Helensburg became a pleasant summer resort for locals. The construction of the city was inspired by Edinburgh's New Town. For the first time in Scotland, entire cities were being planned, regardless of the existing old medieval centre. Gradually, with the development of a ship that arrived to the industrial town of Greenock, people began to settle permanently in the city. Now the village is at the entrance of the Gare Loch, three quarters of an hour from Glasgow.