The Helensburg village was founded in 1776 when Sir Ian Colquhoun, from the neighbouring village of Luss, built a series of hot springs on this site. Thanks to its proximity to Glasgow the Helensburg became a pleasant summer resort for locals. The construction of the city was inspired by Edinburgh's New Town. For the first time in Scotland, entire cities were being planned, regardless of the existing old medieval centre. Gradually, with the development of a ship that arrived to the industrial town of Greenock, people began to settle permanently in the city. Now the village is at the entrance of the Gare Loch, three quarters of an hour from Glasgow. The road to reach Helensburg is a great drive if you don't take the motorway. The majority of the population now works in Glasgow, and a small part is devoted to tourism. Nowadays there are no more hot springs, but there is a swimming pool, and a diving club.
House on the Hill (or Hill House) in Helensburgh near Glasgow, Scotland, is one of the most famous buildings by Scottish architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Designed and built by custom publisher Walter Blackie in 1904. Mackintosh designed the interior rooms and furniture and other details. Mackintosh's architectural design was revolutionary and not everyone appreciated his talent, which was not the case of Walter Blackie who was aware of the architect's potential, whose work has been recognized worldwide. After Blackie's death in the 50s the house was sold. In 1982 the house was donated to the National Trust of Scotland, which turned it into a museum. Restoration is planned due to the deterioration of the exterior facade nearby sea. A different museum that does justice to the magnificence and architectural concept that revolutionized Scotland in the early twentieth century and still continues to impress.