The Santa María la Blanca Synagogue is the main synagogue of Toledo’s Jewish Quarter. It was built, according to a carved inscription in a beam fragment, in the year “four thousand nine hundred and forty” (1180 AD, since it’s talking of the Jewish calendar).
It was reconstructed in the 13th Century and converted into a Christian temple in 1405. In the 16th Century it became a penitential shelter for repentant women, and from this same time period are the three chapels, as well as the altarpiece attributed to Berruguete or Juan de Borgoña. In the 18th Century it was converted into headquarters and in the 19th Century it suffered the effects of the freeing of encumbrance and it was used as a warehouse.