The Collegiate Church of San Martin is a church we discovered not far from the city centre, whose dimensions are quite disconcerting. It was built in 1235, but, like many buildings of this type, time has not been kind to it, so it had to be rebuilt in part, particularly after a fire destroyed part of it in 1572. It is the most impressive church we saw in the area; during the French Revolution, it actually had cathedral status as the seat of a bishop.
In the centre of Colmar, near the Unterlinden museum, this huge fourteenth century church is part of a Dominican convent. It houses the famous altarpiece of the Virgin in the Rosal, from the fifteenth century. The area outside is very busy in December, when one of Alsace's biggest and best Christmas markets takes place.