This church was built by German merchants in the year 1230. St. Nicholas was the patron of merchants and sailors. The style is late Gothic, but more was added in later centuries. Like much of Tallinn, this has come under fire, in this case, due to the bombardment of Russian troops during the Second World War. Everything inside was destroyed, and there was no time to hide the valuables before the attack began. The highlight of the collection is the Dance of Death, a twenty foot-long piece of art by the painter Bernt Notke, located in the Chapel of San Antonio. Highly recommended.