The old square is in the heart of Bergamo. It acquired its present form between 1440 and 1493. The Contarini fountain in the center was ordered to be built by the Venetian mayor during the eighteenth century. The Palazzo della Ragione stands in the circle bordering the square and above the balcony is the Lion of the St. Mark, built in the sixteenth century to remember the name of the Republic of Venice. It's a very nice place full of all of the most important buildings in the city.