Under the stars
The Church of the Holy Cross to Carmini dates from the late 1300's, but has been subject over time to numerous extensions and renovations. The present appearance is more recent, as it was restored last century in a nineteenth-century Gothic style. The parish of Holy Cross, initially dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel (hence the name Carmini), remained with the Carmelites until 1800, when it was united with the parish of St James. The interior has various works of art: an altarpiece by Veronese, a "Madonna and Child with Saints" by Benedetto Montagna and the "Entombment of Christ" by Jacopo and Francesco da Ponte.