The Church of the Holy Cross to Carmini dates from the late 1300's, but has been subject over time to numerous extensions and renovations. The present appearance is more recent, as it was restored last century in a nineteenth-century Gothic style. The parish of Holy Cross, initially dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel (hence the name Carmini), remained with the Carmelites until 1800, when it was united with the parish of St James. The interior has various works of art: an altarpiece by Veronese, a "Madonna and Child with Saints" by Benedetto Montagna and the "Entombment of Christ" by Jacopo and Francesco da Ponte. There are also nineteenth-century frescoes with scenes of saints and evangelists, with the background painted like a starry sky of intense blue sapphire.
The story goes that following an outbreak of the plague, there were two apparitions of the Virgin Mary, the first on March 7, 1426 and the second August 1, 1428, so a shrine was built on the spot in an effort to end the plague. It was built at the tip of Monte Berico, which dominates the city, to protect the city from above. Over the year, the building has been modified many times, sometimes by famous architects like Andrea Palladio. The current appearance dates back to the seventeenth century, and was carried out by Carlo Borella. The outer walls were enriched with bas-reliefs and statues by the Marinali brothers. In 1826, the bell tower was built by Antonio Piovene and in 1860, work began on the restoration of the neo-Gothic facade bringing the building to its current conditions. The building is open, except for during ecclesiastical ceremonies, and it is a place of pilgrimage and religious tourism.