This monument was inaugurated in the 1970s to honor members of the resistance against the Nazis in one of the most emblematic spaces of this political movement, the Plateau des GLIERES, where in 1944 the first significant armed movement in France was organized, though rapidly crushed by German forces. From these ashes this movement would rise again, making the region of Haute-Savoie the first region that was released only by French forces.
The monument, which inside contains a chapel, is composed of very simple lines and creates a stark contrast with the natural surroundings, which are absolutely spotless.
The plateau des GLIERES is a plateau in the Haute Savoie, forming part of the Aravis, from pre-alpine caracácter. With an average altitude of 1450 emtros, this plateau was for centuries an almost inaccessible place and the small population that lived there is isolated by snow for most of the winter. Due to this reason, it was chosen as an operational base for the French Resistance in 1944. The first major operations against the Germans occurred here. Then, in March of 1944, the Glieres were assaulted by a division of the Wehrmacht alpina, killing most resistant. At present, the function GLIERES share their natural sanctuary with the symbolic space of the French Resistance. It is still extremely well-preserved, and the only activities still carried out are herding castle and cross-country skiing, aside from the tourist monument built in 1973. It is kind of hard to access due to roads with many curves, but it is worth it anyway.