This Fountain, or "Fontana Pretoria" is the most striking element of the Plaza Pretoria. It was designed by the Florentine sculptor Francesco Camilliani in 1555 for the Tuscan-style villa of the Spanish viceroy, Pedro de Toledo. His son later sold it and it was settled in 1573. The ostentatious white marble fountain dominates the square, with its steps and pools at different levels that create ripples in concentric circles, dotted with sculptures of naked nymphs, tritons and river gods. Because of its uninhibited use of nudity in the sculptures, the square is commonly known as Piazza della Vergogna (Plaza of Shame).