Barbican of Warsaw
The barbican was erected in 1540 and is one of the few remnants of the complex network of historic fortifications that once surrounded Warsaw. In World War II, notably during the siege of Warsaw (1939) and the Warsaw Uprising (1944), the barbican was largely destroyed, like most of the old city. It was rebuilt 1952-1954 on the basis of seventeenth century engravings. The bricks used in its reconstruction were from demolished historic buildings from the cities of Nysa and Wroclaw, most of the barbican was rebuilt, with the exception of 2 exterior doors and the oldest tower on the side of the old town.