This building has a very interesting story. It was designed by architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and was built in different phases since 1947. In the beginning it was a coal power plant. The construction was finally finished, specifically the development of its east wing, in 1963. Twenty years later it was completely neglected and disused. Other interesting projects designed by the architect Gilbert Scott are the classic red telephone booths, the imposing Batter Power Station, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral and the Waterloo Bridge. Towards the end of the 80's the Tate organization decided to move its collection of modern art in Millbank to a new location.