This public garden is the oldest in Tavira since its construction began in 1890, in front of the Marché de Ribeira (Mercado de la Ribera). It's a beautiful botanical garden with various types of trees, flowers and shrubs such as Bird of Paradise with orange flowers, hibiscus, privet, oleander, laurel, tamarind, garden plum, pine, rubber tree, cypress, oak, poppies, palms and many more species. It has wide sidewalks with a typical Portuguese walkway and large planters. Various local festivals are held here and it's a meeting point for city inhabitants. In the center is the Kiosk.
This park is the first thing you see when entering Ctra Castro Marim from EN 122. It is a big green area where there is grass, abundant trees, children's play area and a decorative fountain that is interesting, and that becomes a makeshift pool where the kids have a great summer. Its use is free. The park was constructed in 1999 and received the National Award "Image of the City" by this successful recovery of the riparian zone.
The battlements of Castelo Muslim enclose a splendid garden with a real network of sidewalks and planters, some of them forming graceful landscaped roundabouts that seem to rain thousands of colorful flowers and fun butterflies. Among the many shrubs are bougainvillea, aloe vera, hibiscus, Syrian roses, privet, geraniums, climbing roses, oleander, etc. And among the trees are plums, rubber trees, columnera, datura, Dombeya, fig whose aroma perfume the air, jacaranda trees of varied colors and iron trees among others. Walking through this place is a delight for the eyes and nose.
The current Town Hall Square (Praça do Municipio) is a very large space in the historic center, just behind Plaza Manuel Teixeira Gomez. The square was inaugurated in 1931 and consists of a large central space with a fountain and 4 parterres gardens. There are also several banks lined with decorated tiles narrating historical episodes of Portugal. The buildings surrounding the square are nineteenth century and in the lower are a host of bakeries. The most significant building is the Palace Sárreo Prado, the Portimao Cultural Center. Access from the highest point of the square (where the palace is) is a staircase flanked by two cast female figures that are highly stylized, Art Nouveau.
Visconde Bívar Gardens are an extension of Plaza Manuel Teixeira Gomez, on the estuary of the River Arade. They are named after Bívar Coelho, a very influential man in the political life of Portimão and promoter of many city improvement works, his palace is at Plaza 1 º de Mayo and is now occupied by the City. The gardens are very lush with large trees and lawns, in the center is a square with a bust of Viscount Bívar and along the banks there are multiple modern stone sculptures (pretty ugly for my taste).