This sculpture is a tribute to the Fisherman, and a symbol found in many villages whose main activity is fishing. This particular one is located in the gardens of the fishing village of [poi = 357241] Ferragudo [/ poi], opposite Portimao. The sculptor was Francisco Bronze at the request of the Municipality of Lagoa (Ferragudo), and it was created in 1993, as indicated by a plaque located within the same gardens that face the town square.
This monument is a clear homage, as the Portuguese say, to the "operaria canning." It's in a town where that exclusively lives on fishing and tourism, so you have two major players: sailors and [poi = 357281] fisherman [/ poi], and canning. This is not a practical-use sculpture, but is a small bust on a polyhedron stone base above the cannery. On the side, there are four blue tiles which represent different popular places in the area, like the fountain, town square, and [poi = 351711] Arade Castle [/ poi]. It's by the artist José Cortés.
Alvor is a primarily sailor village, so most of its people for generations have been devoted to fishing, and no wonder they have erected a statue in honor of this purpose. The sculpture that is dedicated to the fisherman is located, of course, in the port area. The sculptor is Joao Cutileiro and it reflects a fisherman with a captured piece in hand, giving thanks.
San Gonzalo is the patron of lagos, so this monument was erected in his honor in the highest area of the promenade (known as Chao Queimado), which also looks out over the ocean and beaches. The monument was funded by public subscription and made by the artist Tolentino Abegoaria. It's a granite ornamental fountain and in the center is a platform with a bronze statue of the saint.
One of the most striking elements of Infante Square (Praça do Infante) is the imposing statue of Prince Henry. It was created by sculptor Leopoldo de Almeida in 1960, to mark the V centenary of his death. The sculpture depicts the infant, 5th son of King Joao I and major figure of the Portuguese "Age of Discovery", a time of sea trips and explorations aimed at finding alternative ways of Mediterranean trade. Prince Henry was nicknamed "the navigator" and appears in the sculpture sitting with a quadrant in his hand.
Continuing our walk enjoying the views of Albufeira, churches, monuments and shrines, we made our way to the Placa Jacinto d'Ayet square, and the monument to St Vincent. This was built in honour of the saint, who was born in Albufeira in 1590.
Joao Braz (1912-1993) was an eminent poet, journalist and algarvio writer, popularly known as "Prince of the Algarve poets", obtaining maximum consecration in 1951 in the so-called National Floral Games . This bronze sculpture from 2005 is on the seafront, close to a large fountain and entertainment area of Portimao. Its author was the artist and sculptor Arlindo Arez.
Nuno Mergulhão, engineer, mayor of Portimão (1993-1999) and principal officer in the Portuguese Navy. This monument is in the central Alameda Square of the Republic and consists of a large rectangular block of stone on which appears, in high relief, the different facets of the life of the former mayor.
On the Avenue of Discoveries, in front of City Market, is Alexandre Barata's monument to sailors that was inaugurated in 1997 as a tribute to lacobrigenses navigators and King Henry the Navigator, who launched in the early XV century the Discovery route. The monument is a spiral statue which can have different interpretations - the idea of the dynamic process of the evolution of navigation or the idea of discovery.
Near the Garden Bandstand is a bust in homage to António Cabreira, a mathematician and prestigious publicist from Tavira, born in 1868 and died in 1953. This bust is in the eastern sector of the kiosk and was opened in 1944.
While enjoying the cool shade of Coreto Garden and we stumbled upon this bust by the artist Raul Xavier. Manuel Isidoro Pires was a distinguished poet and tavirense politician, who served as Mayor of the city. This tribute monument was inaugurated in 1961.