In the central area of [poi = 176531] Jardim da Republica [/ poi], just opposite the Town Hall (or [poi = 176591] City Hall [/ poi]), there is a monument erected in honour of Fausto Guedes Teixeira, the poet. It is a bronze bust of the Lamego native, which was designed by the Couto brothers, and was sculpted in 1944 by the artist, Mota Costa Sobrinho.
The Fountain of the Giants is in the central area of [poi = 177241] Patio de los Reyes [/ poi], in the latter part of the Shrine of Remedies steps. It's a monumental fountain, built entirely of granite and consisting of a 15 meter high obelisk that's supported by four large sculptures of giants (hence the name). The jets of water come out of the mouths of the Giants. The fountain is on a strange, 5 step stairway.
These beautiful statues in white are in the gardens of Visconde Guedes, in the central Portuguese city of Lamego. The 2 statues are the work of the School of Fine Arts, Oporto, 2 female figures represent 2 streams whose water pitchers fall into a long rectangular pond. The lady on the right looks like she is "whispering" something to her companion, hence the name. These sculptures are very similar to those on Avenida Dr. Alfredo de Sousa representing the 4 seasons.
The statue of D. Miguel of Portugal (the bishop of Lamego), is in a northern city of inland Portugal. He was a great ambassador for the city and the statue is right in front of the building that houses a museum. The sculpture is by Francisco Franco Madeira and was inaugurated in 1951. A few meters away is the Sé (or cathedral), the theater and the great museum.
This statue is one of the most famous/well known, in the city and is atop the monumental Fonte O Lamego. It's carved in granite and depicts a warrior with a haughty attitude, in his right hand he holds a large bronze spear and in his left the coat of arms of Lamego. The base has a sign bearing the city name.
The Monument to the Unknown Soldier is halfway towards Av. Visconte Guedes Teixeira, at the confluence of October 5 and Alfredo Sousa streets. It was erected in 1932 in memory of those killed in World War I. It's a daunting statue depicting a soldier on a staircase that serves as a roundabout. It's carved in granite and contains several plaques.
This monument is dedicated to João de Almeida, a famous surgeon at Lamego Hospital of the late nineteenth century. It is a granite pedestal on which stands the bronze bust of this character that was made in 1965 by order of the House of Mercy of Lamego. It was initially placed in the Garden of the Hospital, but in 2008 it was moved to this square, his birthplace. Two palaces face the bust: Casa dos Serpas and Casa dos Vilhenas.
This monument is in Largo de Camoes, opposite the old Seminary, the former Bishop's Palace and the Cathedral of Lamego. It was made by sculptor Francisco Franco in 1951 and is a high circular granite pedestal, on which stands the statue, made of cast iron, of Bishop Miguel de Portugal.