Heart of a historic city
The square is the heart of the historic city. It owes its name to the large clock installed at this location in 1471, in the tower of the old livree (house or palace of a bishop) "Albano". Before that, it was the Plaza Mayor, or Market Square. It was the site of the Common House, which is now the town hall. After the French Revolution, they tried to rename it Revolution Square and square Clemenceau in 1918, but for the people, it was always the Clock Square. Pedestrian, there are many cafes around, and public baths. To the right of the hall is the theater district, and on the other the palace square.