Arriving in Mijas, right where the tourist buses were parked, we had the first glimpse of La Ermita de la Virgen de la Peña located on Paseo Compass. The chapel was carved into the rock of a promontory jutting into the side of a hill, back in the sixteenth century, in the place where the Virgin appeared to the shepherds. The friar Diego de Jesus Mercy, tried in 1656, to have the authorities make one chapel that would commemorate that place where the Virgin appeared for the first time. His pleas, however, were ignored, and so he decided to excavate the rock. At the beginning, everyone was mocking him because they thought it would be impossible, but then everyday they kept watching his determination and will, and at one point began to bring him some lunch. It took him 26 years to complete, and asked that his death might be buried in the same cave that did not leave any excavated but no sign of the site, and so he died in 1682. Inside of it is stored the Virgen de la Peña, patroness of Mijas. In its vicinity, there is a lookout and you can see (no telescopes) an impressive view of the Costa del Sol and the beautiful Hermitage Valley Mijas. This is a place with a very unique history.
During the most of the tour of the village of Mijas, we could see the little chapel belfry, it was high on a hill. So when we were leaving Mijas, and taking advantage of it being right next to a gas station, we stopped to see it up close , and although it is now being restored, we could take some pictures and learn of its curious history. La Ermita del Puerto, was built in 1875 more or less, they say it was funded by a quite old lady, who promised that if God gave her a son, she would raise a chapel there. The request was successful and she thus fulfilled her promise by funding the construction of the chapel.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception was built on the forecourt of a hill in the 16th century. Previously, a fortress and a castle stood there, and later, a mosque. It has three naves with coffered ceilings in the middle. In 1510, a Moorish-style bell tower was added for defence. Outside, there is a square tower, which some consider to be the tower of the ancient fortress. It also has two side chapels and its square shaped tombstones could date from the first half of the 17th century, although the decor is later. Inside, there are two paintings by Gomez Lobato from 1984. One represents the appearance of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to Santa Margarita and the other, disciples of Emmaus.