This Moorish tower is one of the few remaining vestiges of the old castle of Mijas. Its shape is square and solid, as befits its military origin, as it used to be part of the Parish of the Immaculate Conception. The church was built between 1540 and 1565 during the time of Bishop Manrique. It consists of three naves separated by arches supported by marble columns. The central area is covered with Moorish style wooden frames, while the sides are covered with barrel vaults. During its restoration during the years 1991-1992, eight new apostles columns were discovered, dating from about 1632.
Batería Tower is one of the watchtowers on Malaga's coast. It's a 16th century building that has 2 floors and a roof where you can look at the sea. Inside the tower there's a large chimney where they used to send smoke signals to send messages. Today it's been quite well-restored and it houses the Interpretation Centre of Lighthouse Towers of the Historical-Ethnological Museum of Mijas. During our little walk around we saw sardines and other fish strung on poles that were about 30 inches long that they stuck close to the fire so that the fish cooks slowly without taking out the bones or the guts.