The City Hall of Porto is a landmark building first designed by António Correia da Silva, it's called Pacos do Concelho and is at the beginning of the central Avenida dos Aliados. It took several years to build (started in 1920, inaugurated in 1957) and has 6 floors, a basement and 2 courtyards. It's built of marble and granite and occupies an entire city block, the main entrance is on Avenida Aliados at the back of Plaza Trindade, opposite Trinity Church. The side facade caught my attention, as it seems that the stairs of the building go out, in front of this facade is a tourist information office. Most notable is the 70 meter high tower, topped by a chiming clock. In front of the main facade is a sculpture dedicated to the poet Almeida Garrett, sculpted by Barata Feyo (1954). There are guided tours of the palace on the first two Sundays of each month, but you must sign up first.
Located in the heart of Old Town, in the middle of Republic Square in front of the Fountain and House of Mercy, this XVI century palace is a National Monument. It has two floors, with a granite facade and he was the Town Hall of the city, currently being used as an exhibition hall. It looks like a castle or castellated tower, the ground floor consists of pointed arches, and the upper floor windows with overhanging balconies and iron railings. In the center is the shield of the city.
In Portugal the municipalities are called "City Halls", the Vila do Conde is situated in the building of the former Pacos do Concelho, in the historical heart town. It is an architecturally sober, with two heights, whose only ornamentation is the granite steps under an archway. It was constructed in the year 1543. In front of it lies the Pelourinho (National Monument).
Chaves City Council is in the heart of the historical district, in Camoes Square, a Loreto Chapel and the Palace of the Dukes of Braganza (today Flaviense Region Museum), and directly opposite the Mother Church . It is a three-story building in which there are multiple windows, built in the fifteenth century. The main entrance is framed by an arch of granite, on which stands the presidential balcony. The top is crowned with a pediment, which is the shield of the city and above it, the clock of the town. In front of the building is the Monument to D. Alfonso I, Duke of Bragança.
The city of Guimarães is in the Plaza Jose Maria Gomes, a 16th-century building that was at one time the Convent of Santa Clara. In the heart of its baroque outside is a sculpture of Santa Clara. There is a 2-story cloister in the classicist style inside the structure. The convent had annexed a chapel whose art was transferred to Alberto Sampaio Museum, and is occupied by the Municipal Archives Alfredo Pimenta. Just across the hall, across the square is Raul Brandão Municipal Library.
The Municipal House of Tarouca, or, in other words, its Town Hall) can be found on one end of the city, near the old part of town. The building itself appears to be fairly new, and it's located on a small promontory (given the uneven ground), compared to [poi = 151266] Pelourinho [/ poi] or pillory. The building has two bodies and two stories high, the most striking is the gallery consists of three arches, made of masonry, in which frame the entrances to the building. The municipality is about 100 square kilometers and has around 9,000 inhabitants. It is divided into ten parishes [poi = 151230] Dalvares [/ poi], Gouviães, Farm Nova, Mondim da Beira, Salzedas, S. João de TAROUCA, TAROUCA, Ucanha, Várzea Chã Vila da Serra da Beira, whose management is made up of the city council. That's a mouthful!
The Municipal Chamber (City Council) of Vila Real is at the south end of the city's main avenue (Avenida Carvalho Araújo), which broadens into the Praça Camilo Castelo Branco. It's late Baroque and was built (in the early nineteenth century) initially to house the Mercy Hospital. It's 2-storey, has a linear and symmetrical facade, access to the upper floor is via a double staircase and granite is the most notable element from the former convent of San Francisco (sixteenth century). On the roof there's the city's coat of arms, represented by a silver sword in its central part and a crown on the top. It is virtually opposite the Cathedral and the Birthplace of Diogo Cão.
City Hall (or Municipal Chamber) of Póvoa is the most beautiful and impressive building in Plaza de Almada, and is a Property of Public Interest. It was built in the eighteenth century, but renovated in early twentieth century. Its facade is very striking, from the gallery of seven arches on the ground floor (designed by French engineer Reinaldo Oudinot) to the tiles that decorate the top floor of its facade. These, along with the tower, were later additions in 1908 by the anthropologist Rocha Peixoto and the Belgian painter Joseph Bialman.
The Municipal House (or City Hall) of Lamego is right in front of Jardim da Republica. It's fairly large, 2-story, with a very straight face, in which the only highlight is the numerous granite recercados windows. The central part of the building, which defines the access to it, is finished at the top by a granite ledge with two jars (one on each end) and central pediment with the city coat of arms. On either side of the building are the Church of Our Lady of Grace and Isidoro Park Guedes.
The Câmara Municipal de Barcelos (Town Hall) is at Largo do Municipio, opposite the Mother Church and the Monument to Antonio Barroso. It is a lovely and grand building with two stories. Its main facade has a gallery of arches on the ground floor and multi-paneled windows at the top. Outstanding in height and scale are the two towers, which houses individual shields and clocks in the city, and topped with pinnacles. In fact, the building we see today is the result of the union of several held in the year 1849: The old Hospital of the Holy Spirit over the Chapel of St. Mary of the 16th century, the tower and the House of the House XV , the former Mercy Hospital from the 17th and Palace Council from the 19th. There is free entry to the special exhibits inside.
Town Hall Square (Largo do Municipio) is one of the most important places of historic Barcelos as the two main historical monuments of the city are there: The Church of Santa María la Mayor and City Hall (Ayuntamiento). The square is oval-shapess (it looks like a big roundabout) and is built on a slope, following the natural ground elevation. In the center there's a wide pedestrian area, crowned at the top by a monument dedicated to the missionary Antonio Barroso.
Praça do Municipio is in the heart of the city, at the end of the pedestrian shopping street December 1. It's a small square with atmosphere, there are pavement cafes and during the summer there are outdoor musical performances on Saturdays at 22h. The Town Hall (Pacos do Concelho) is in this square, the Church of Mercy and the monument to Antonio Correa de Oliveira.