"Under the Tiles" in the avenue Unter den Linden, Berlin's most prestigious street. Is very close to the Pariser Platz and the Brandenburg Gate, a short distance from the French embassies, British and American. It was built between 1949 and 1951 in a style typical of the Stalin era, to assert the power of the Soviets in the city. At this time the wall had not yet been built, it would be in 1961. But the city was split into four parts, the Allies (Americans, British and French) occupy the western and eastern Russians. In East Germany, the Soviets retained a strong influence until 1989 and the fall of the wall. Today the embassy is responsible mostly for issuing tourist and business visas to visit Russia. Necessary for any European Union citizen.
The Embassy of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Berlin is located in Wilhelmstrasse, close to the prestigious Unter den Linden and Adlon Hotel. Initially the embassy was housed in the Strousberg palace, built in the late nineteenth century. For obvious reasons it was empty during the two world wars and was destroyed by bombs. During the division of Germany, the embassy was situated in Bonn. Now they are in this modern building since 1991. The British Embassy is the only one that is built with private funds. The British government does not own the building for 30 years, the place belongs to the company Arteos. The street in front of traffic is prohibited except for bicycles for safety reasons.
The French embassy in Berlin is in Plaza de Paris (Pariser Platz). It's a recent building but was built on the site of the former embassy before World War II. The building was purchased by Napoleon III to host the French diplomatic mission and it had a huge garden. In the 1920s, this square and Unter Den Linden were the most attractive areas of the city. The United States, England and France also have their embassies one block from each other. But when the Nazis came to power in the 1930s the embassies emptied. The building was bombed during World War II and destroyed. After the war and the partition of Germany, the capital of West Germany moved to Berlin, and the embassy too. In 2002 it returned to the scene of this former palace. The work is by the architect Christian de Portzamparc. The building has conference rooms, a glass pavilion and it's linked to the ambassador's residence.